Sunday, March 17, 2013

Spring Wreath

The sun is shining, the birds are chirping and the flowers are in bloom, so it's time for all things spring! As with every season, it ushers in new decorations around my home :)  This year I had the brilliant idea for a new wreath.  Follow my instructions to create your own springtime wreath! 

Materials:
  • Foam wreath
  • Yarn (I used the gorgeous fun fur yarn!)
  • Flowers
  • Sewing pins
  • Cardboard or wood
  • Mod Podge
  • Scrapbook Paper
  • Foam Brush
  • Fencing ($2 plastic fence from Dollar General)
  • Wire
  • Puffy Paint

Some materials were not shown in the above pictures, but you'll see them in my photos below.

Instructions:
  • Wrap the yarn around the wreath so that there are no gaps.  I used brown and green for my dirt and grass, but you could definitely change it up!  I recommend watching a movie or some television during this part because it will take some time to wrap the entire wreath in yarn.
  • Cut the plastic fencing to size then secure it to the wreath with wire.  I briefly thought about using popsicle sticks & hot glue to create my own fencing, but that sounded time consuming and this was cheap!  I love the look of a white picket fence, but if you want to go brighter, then I suggest a nice coat of spray paint for your fence to liven things up :)

 A close-up of the wire.
  •   Use the sewing needles to secure the flowers into the foam wreath.  I used three per flower, then arranged them at different heights over the fence.

  • Cut the scrapbook paper to size then put Mod Podge on the cardboard with your foam brush. Lay the scrapbook paper on the cardboard then brush another layer of the Mod Podge. Let it dry.
  • Decorate your spring sign.  I used Puffy Paint to write Welcome Spring. Next use a hole puncher on each side of the sign and then thread your wire through the new holes so that you have a way to hang your sign on the fence.
  • Hang your wreath on your front door and you're done!

I love that this craft could have taken many different turns and there are so many ways to customize it and make it your own.  Good luck making your own Spring Wreath & please let me know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment