Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Crafting to Help My Blind Dog

This is my dog Buffy:


I have had Buffy since I was 12 years old.  I lived overseas for most of my life, moving from base to base every few years, so my family decided not to get a pet because it would be hard on the animal to move and go through quarantines.  When we moved to Texas, my brother and I begged to get a dog, so once we were settled into an apartment, we set out for the Humane Society.  We found 5 month old Buffy shaking in the back of her kennel and she became a part of our family shortly after that.


Buffy is now 13 (that's 91 years in dog years!).  She started losing her sight roughly six months ago and it got worse each day.  Buffy began running into things on our walks.  It was incredibly rough to watch Buffy go through this and I spent a lot of time crying. Then I got proactive and went online to find out what would help my dog. I learned the importance of talking to her, especially before petting her, that she needs to know where I am when we're not at home where she knows the terrain and that it is important not to pity her because she still maintains a high quality of life.

One recommendation is to ensure that your dog can hear where you are walking, so I made these bell clips.

Materials:
  • Binder Clip
  • Jingle Bell
  • Wire
  • Mod Podge
  • Scrapbook Paper
  • Scissors
  • Brush or Sponge
Instructions:
  • Cut the scrapbook paper to fit the outside of the binder clip
  • Use your sponge or brush to put Mod Podge on the binder clip
  • Place the scrapbook paper over the binder clip, then lay another layer of Mod Podge over the scrapbook paper
  • Allow the Mod Podge to dry then attach the jingle bell to the clip using the wire
Now I clip the bell on my pants so that Buffy can hear where I step on our walks.  She walks with much more confidence now!

Another tip that I read was to make sure that people know that she is blind, so I decided that a bandanna stating so would be just perfect.

Materials:
  • Handkerchief
  • Bleach
  • Paint Brush
  • Puffy Paint
Instructions

  • Place aluminum foil or cardboard behind the bandanna then paint the letters onto the bandanna with the bleach
  • Outline the letters with the puffy paint then draw designs around the letters with the puffy paint
Here is Buffy showing off her new bandanna at Home Depot. Now people know that she has some special handling without me having to say anything :)

No comments:

Post a Comment