Sunday, January 13, 2013

Colorful Creole Sausage with Beans and Rice


I found this delicious recipe for Creole Sausage with Red Beans and Rice from Pearls, Handcuffs and Happy Hour and made it to the tee.  Next time, I was ready to make my changes!  There are only a couple because the original recipe was amazing, but I had to make it more colorful and tone down the Rotel kick (just a bit)! There's a printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.

Ingredients:
  • 1 (14 oz) Package of Turkey Sausage
  • 2 tsp Olive Oil
  • 2 Garlic Cloves (minced)
  • 1 (10 oz) Can of Rotel
  • 1 (14.5 oz) Can of Diced Tomatoes
  • 3 1/2 Cups of Chicken Broth
  • 1 1/2 Cups of Brown Rice
  • 1 Can of Dark Red Kidney Beans (drained & rinsed)
  • 1 Can of Light Red Kidney Beans (drained & rinsed)
  • 8 Stocks of Green Onion (chopped)
  • 1 Package of Tri-Color Sweet Peppers (chopped)
  • 2 tsp of Creole Seasoning (low sodium Tony's is the best!)

Instructions:
  • Slice up the sausage. 
Action shot courtesy of my hubby
  • Cook up the sausage in a skillet with the garlic and olive oil over medium heat until browned. 
  • Start cooking your rice in the chicken broth.  I used my rice cooker, but you could cook it over stove top or use an instant rice mix. I recommend using whole grain brown rice because it has far more to offer in terms of nutrients then white rice! 
  • Add the Rotel & diced tomatoes to the skillet and simmer for 5-7 minutes. 
  • Chop up your peppers & green onion while this is simmering.
Look at those beautiful peppers!

  • Add the beans, green onion and peppers to the skillet, then gently stir. See what I mean by colorful!
  • Add the cooked rice, then the Creole seasoning and mix carefully so that your beans maintain their shape. 

Messy hair thrown up into a clip after work!
Enjoy!

Click on the picture below to print the Recipe Card. It will lead you to a Google Documents page in which you can click the printer icon.



1 comment:

  1. Seeing this appear in my Google+ feed made me hungry for it again. It was so delicious!

    ReplyDelete