Fall is my favorite time of the year. One of the big reasons is because pumpkin is everywhere! It's in patches, in plug-ins and Scentsys (pumpkin roll is amazing!), carved and displayed on porches and most relevant to this post; in your recipes! We made a trip to Sam's Club recently and I purchased a bunch of canned pumpkin to last for this season's baking sessions.
My hubby's birthday is this week, so we decided to celebrate tonight and what's a birthday without cake?! Last year, I threw my hubby a dinner party, so this year we decided to keep things much more low-key (and much less exhausting!).
I decided to take a pumpkin cake recipe that I've used before and bring it up a few notches by adding a cream cheese filling and a maple glaze instead of vanilla icing. I started up the new Mumford and Sons CD on my spotify application and started baking!
Pumpkin Cake Batter Ingredients (adapted from Betty Crocker's Pumpkin Ring Cake Recipe):
- 3 cups Original Bisquick mix or 3 cups & 6 tablespoon cake flour, 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 3/4 teaspoons salt, 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (16 ounces) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
Cream Cheese Filling Ingredients:
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of Pumpkin Pie spice
Maple Glaze Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon of milk
Pumpkin Cake Instructions:
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour tube cake pan. I like to spray my pans with canola oil spray then sprinkle pinches of flour on them.
- Prepare the cake batter: Beat Bisquick (I recommend using a DIY Bisquick with cake flour instead), granulated sugar, brown sugar, butter, pumpkin pie spice, 1/4 cup milk, eggs and pumpkin in large bowl on low speed 30 seconds. Be careful when adding the pumpkin because it'll plop and splash you! Beat on medium speed 3 minutes. Spread in 1/2 of batter mix in pan.
- Prepare Filling: Beat first 3 ingredients (cream cheese, butter & sugar) at medium speed until blended and smooth. Add egg, flour, and vanilla; beat just until blended. Add a dash or two of pumpkin pie spice then stir once or twice so that you have a swirl of the spice. Spoon filling on top of batter in pan then add the rest of the batter to the pan.
- Bake about 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. I Will Wait was a great song during this part! Cool 10 minutes; turn upside down onto heatproof plate or wire cooling rack. Remove pan; cool cake completely.
- Maple Glaze: Prepare the glaze; In a small saucepan, melt butter and syrup together over medium heat. Whisk powdered sugar into hot mixture until smooth, and immediately pour over cooled cake.
I made a much thicker icing before settling on the recipe that I posted on here. It was wayyyy too hard and I ended up picking it all off then changing up the recipe to make it thinner. This moist cake deserves a nice thin glaze that will seep through and add more to the moist-ness!
Click on the picture below to go to a Google Documents page where you can print the recipe card:
This cake is moist, flavorful and was perfect for my hubby's birthday! I recommend trying it out this fall :)